About Laughlin Memorial Chapel
The original Chapel building was built by First German Church in 1836. First Presbyterian Church purchased the building in 1872. It was used as a chapel church for the East Wheeling immigrant community. The George Laughlin family, early members of First Presbyterian Church, supported the Chapel and eventually donated the building to the community. Upon Mr. Laughlin’s death in 1936, the Chapel became Laughlin Memorial Chapel.
In 2005, with the support of the community, the Chapel facility was expanded. The new addition includes a modern commercial kitchen, large dining hall, classrooms, and office space.
Since 1946, the work of the Chapel has been focused on serving young people. The Chapel is best known for its afterschool program, offered for free to the community, thanks to the generosity of churches, community organizations, foundations, trusts, corporations, and individual donors.